Forensic Focusing

This has been a frustrating week, hunting for simulations that may or may not be out there. My personal goal was to find forensic science materials suitable for 10-12th grade students with decent science backgrounds. Simple 'match the fingerprint' activities won't work with my students. I find that the best sites are often part of a museum exhibit's education outreach (1, 4)

1) CSI: The Experience Web Adventure -- 3 interactive quests with increasing difficulty.

2) Bones and the Badge -- a series of webquests written at the high school level.

3) Forensic Files -- not a simulation, but lets students view short videos concerning techniques employed by various types of forensic investigators. Connected to the tru tv series.

4) Visible Proofs: Forensic Views of the Body -- not interactive as the above sites, but cool photos and video of autopsy procedures. Not for the younger student.

All in all I was disappointed that I haven't found good single sites using finger prints, tool marks, odontology etc. In reality, finding these four sites does allow me to bring new materials that I haven't had access to in previous years teaching this course. When I am realistic, and not into my frenzy hunt mode, four usable sources of quality are more than sufficient.

I did play with Google Earth; I have always appreciated its potential, but unless it is connected to a specific class project, I lose interest in it. A problem I have is computer access for my students. I have access to one computer lab (as does the rest of the school). If my class has the bad fortune to be taught at the same time as digital photography or multimedia...my access is severely curtailed. Something like Google Earth can be projected for a specific visual, but all of these simulations are important because they have the power to engage students. Now I would rather do a lab than many of these simulations. There is also a problem with defining simulation. Our text provided an example of students using a program on balancing chemistry equations being a simulation; I don't agree with that definition. Many students have tendency to just plug and manipulate buttons without comprehending the resulting graphics. I believe a good simulation needs a specific outcome even if it is "what trends do you notice that you can report on?" I have seen simulations used as baby sitters, and simulations presented as games often get used by students as a competitive game and not for the designer's intended purpose. A simulation must go someplace I can't take my students with my classroom resources. I tend to use simulations as alternate assignments as I can't depend on students having computer access at home.

How big a part of your curriculum are simulations? Are they part of concept presentation? Concept mastery? Something else?

Comments

  1. There is one teacher at my school (in charge of the computer lab schedule) who takes his science class every other week to the computer lab and does lots of simulations. There are 1 or 2 built into the new science curriculum created by the state. i think that I will use some of these new ones I found this week as follow up and extensions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to use simulations to introduce new topics in math class, because I find that I can change one thing at a time using a computer and projector, rather than have students experiment with pencil and paper or graphing calculators. We usually move on to small group exploration, and then individual work. However, the sims I used last year are no longer available free, so I looked for similar ones this week. I probably use sims every onther week in each of my classes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not use simulations very often for similar reasons. Due to a lack of resources, it is rare that I have access to enough computers for all of the students in my class to use. But on rare occasions, I have found some "gems" out their that I project to the entire class. One of my favorites zooms in from a pinhead to the virtual size of a cell, and then even further to the size of viruses. This really engages my students and gives them a real perspective of microscopy. Check it out at http://www.cellsalive.com/howbig.htm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you checked out the HBO series? http://www.hbo.com/autopsy/interactive/
    There is an interactive autopsy -some discretion advised.
    This site, http://www.shodor.org/ssep/stu/activities/forensic.html
    is the forensics science page from shodor.
    Shambles.net has a forensics page
    http://www.shambles.net/pages/learning/ScienceP/forensic/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ruminations

Musings on new toys for old dogs

Projects in the Mix