Voicing my Opinion

Okay,
I am really tired after doing this week's work. I will appreciate what it might mean for my classroom wiki and student involvement later. I will present things in the reverse order of creation, and oddly enough, time needed to create each

(1) Voicethread

Click the ok and then the play --or my tiny head



This was cool and rather quick. I WANT to embed video, but no video format I tried would it accept. It is the least friendly site of all I have used as far a leading a novice through the needed steps. SO this might have been quicker to do for having gone through the other assignments. I love the interactivity and the chance for students to pick written or spoken comments. I also just found out I can zoom on the photo. I think this could be a fun wiki component, just to have something out there for kids to think about. Interesting photos and such...teasers for units to come. This is simple as it has just one image that I took this last week. It could be fun to use with the collage feature of Picnik!

(2) Screencasting.


Wooo. This took time. Mostly because I am too self-conscious of my audio and kept rerecording. I began this with Jing, and it was hard to fit my chatter in 5 minutes. I managed it, but then I could not get its partner site Screencast to upoad my video either to its site or to youtube. Arrrrgh. I liked Jing's interface and its flexible recording frame. I created problems for myself by insisting on recording as I went through the PowerPoint in order to get the animations to work. I got jumpy starts due to who knows what. I rerecorded using Screencast-O-Matic. This was also easy to use, although it's recording frame wasn't as flexible. it DID upload to my YouTube account. I have more new accounts today than --- someone with an infinity of accounts! This took so much time. I am not sure yet how I would use it...I don't embrace PowerPoints as it is, but I do appreciate the technology. I can see it having use as an alternate sort of assignment ---just not sure where yet.

3) Slideshare & PowerPoint



I botched making this PowerPoint. I went to creative commons for all of my graphics. I failed to gather all the information for the nearly 40 images at the time of snagging. (CC have a form to help one do this on a helpful pdf I found after the fact.) This was a big mistake. I was in no way prepared (willing) to spend 20 minutes each hunting down and formatting the credits for each one. I have credited photos in the past. This time, it was all too much for some reason. I know better. Perhaps it was having to find each Flickr creator's particular desired credit phrasing. This is the sort of thing that stops me from using more PowerPoints in class. The image hunt/crediting takes so long that it is easier to talk and use images on screen, if I really need to. I would be least likely to use Slideshare simply as I don't make many PowerPoints. I also don't use others', although I had a college prof this summer who unabashedly was using another's presentation -- flipping to slides he liked and ignoring others. Maddening.

So I am not proud of my final product. I will be able to use use it in class as a quick review, but my initial need to keep it under 5 minutes meant I didn't use as many slide topics as I should have. I also just takes me forever to find good images. It doesn't seem time/cost effective for me.

My biggest reason for not embracing PowerPoints is I never want to teach on autopilot, and PowerPoint presentations seem like they permit that for some. Students also have hit PowerPoint overload in some classes and are intrigued by my chalkboard (the last one in the high school), and individual student whiteboards. (as close as I can get to a smartboard!!)

Comments

  1. Your presentation is great! Your comment about your students being intrigued with your chalkboard reminds me of one of the faculty members in my department. She is a student favorite, and rarely uses anything more than an overhead and a whiteboard. She says that students find it refreshing. Just shows that technology never takes the place of good teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the screencasting but I could not view your voicethread from some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mry,
    Could it be your browser? I have to work on blog posts in Firefox as my Mac's Safari is a weak and spineless tool that messes with things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I created like four youtube accounts while trying to upload. It kept not working and then I would get lost in all my open browser windows. It was not pretty. Eventually it worked and I am not certain about what I did. There are going to a few dormant youtube accounts out there for a while. I don't even remember the screen names of them!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ruminations

Musings on new toys for old dogs

Projects in the Mix